It’s been a busy week! Dad is in town, and next week I start a new job, so several projects needed to be completed, one of which is the chicken coop.
Finally! Around two years ago we started researching quail. That idea went through several changes – at one point it had turned into a duck adventure – but finally the confusion cleared and now we have a small coop/run large enough for a handful of bantams.
Pro’s of going with bantams:
- They are compact – we live in city and on a fairly small lot.
- Less sound/smell/mess – hopefully, we will see.
- Will allow me to move the coop closer to the house for easier maintenance.
- Will get me used to the idea of taking care of animals (other than feeding wild birds and the indoor dogs.)
And the con’s:
- Expensive for their size, aka not worth the money since they don’t lay eggs often. (Ours aren’t laying yet, and while they will lay less than standard hens, they will give me good experience)
- Poor layers. (Again, this is more of a con for an established farmer or someone solely wanting the chickens for the eggs)
We ended up bringing home three female Silver Sebrights. Wow they are pretty. We didn’t expect to bring home something so fancy, but I guess most bantams are show birds anyway. They may as well be pretty to look at. Hewie is on the left – she is a bit larger and seems to be the leader. Dewie and Lewie seem to be chill. Dewie is in the middle and has darker plumage. Lewie is on the right.
The coop is more or less a mix of plans that looked like they would work for our space. We started with a very sturdy, homemade dog house. From there we cut out floors, doors and covered it with 1/2″ hardware cloth. Roosting boxes were made from old plastic milk crates that were cut in half and mounted to the wall.
The run is made of untreated 2×4’s and is wrapped with a sturdy chicken wire. Since our chickens are close to the house, and securely locked in the coop at night we decided that chicken wire would be ok. In any other case we would have used the 1/2″ wire on the run as well.
It’s not complete yet, but as we learn more we can tweak it a bit. So far the chickens seem content, and the dogs have not torn the coop down so I consider it a success!